Friday, May 26, 2006

Sleeping at ze Hospital

I was off work yesterday, so I spent the day & last night at the hospital. I absolutely love TIRR. Mom has a private room, her nurses are consistent (same each day, 8-hour shifts), her nurses seem to actually care about people (as opposed to some being rather vindictive-ish), and the atmosphere is much more conducive to a peaceful recovery (rather than sounding like the beginning of Saving Private Ryan, which, by the way, I've never seen).

As previously discussed, I'm a complete non-fan of needles. Not only do they hurt like nothing else, but the sight of them (esp going into someone) makes me very dizzy. However, as I decided at Scott & White, if Mom can handle being in the hospital & getting poked & prodded constantly, I can handle holding her hand while they're taking blood from her finger. I mean, seriously...I need to suck it up & quit being a baby. So last night, I held her hand and watched as the nurse put in her IV. I've never done that before. Then her friend Christine came, and though Mom was asleep most of the time, Christine & I had a really nice visit.

There's a love seat sofa in the room that pulls out into a twin bed. I slept there all night, but they were taking her vitals every 2 hours so I got up a lot. Also, there were a few times she got aggitated, but in general she seemed to sleep peacefully.

This morning on the way home I finally got the wrist weights that I need for kickboxing. I've come to understand that kickboxing for an hour is much harder when you add 2 pounds. Laugh not...that's what they told me to use.

Well Zahra was supposed to Xanga this part so I could then be lazy & steal it from her, but now it seems as though I'm going to have to take on a temporary facade of self-sufficience.
Me: *in car after clocking in at work...calling Zahra* I just wanted to let you know that I'm totally talking on the phone at work
Zahra: *audibly shocked* What?! You're such a rebel!
Me: *explains that I'm actually in the car b/c I was asked to go pick up cake supplies*
Zahra: I'm so xanga-ing that!

When I got back, I noticed that the new icecream shipment had not been organized yet in the walk-in freezer. So, I started doing it. The owner told me I could turn off the fan, so I did (and I wore some jacket thing & my SHORTS). The highest temperature reached was 16-17*. It was freeeezing, especially when we consider that I'm cold-natured anyway. I timed it...58 minutes inside that thing, minus the 30 seconds or so that it took for me to get a sharpie from The Outside (aka normal people living environment with generally life-sustaining temperatures). After that hour, I washed my hands (boxes can be sticky) with COLD water & it felt hot. Yeah...it was cold in there.

I was afraid of getting locked in (by a malfunctioning electrical freezer issue or a maliciously funny co-worker) but was reassured that it can only be locked from the inside. Still, just to be safe, I keep my phone in my pocket just in case something "goes wrong" and I have to call 911.

Driving home, I looked down & saw that my "check engine" light had come on. I was so shocked that I ran a red light :( This is the first time I've ever run a red light.

Then I got home & did kickboxing & jogging. Now I'm really tired of doing stuff.

Has anyone noticed the quality of my posts slowly dying beneath our very eyes? I don't mean the content of the topics, but rather my less-than-clever presentation of them. I mean, think back to previous posts...those that weren't simply a listing of my day's activities. For the sake of being Hollywood-ish, let's reminisce, shall we?
Cinderella Man & the Guy who Wished to be Gay (Cinderella Man movie)
She'll be Coming Around the Mountain (ha! clever title, I do believe...Tetons)
Our Contribution (practical jokes over sushi)
Veronica's Viewpoints (on having a "transition guy" aka rebound)
Beeeeeeep! (short & sweet...smoke alarm)
And now I'm boring myself again...so just 1 more
Ding! (a post I'm VERY proud of, regarding The LSAT Timer)

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home