Monday, May 22, 2006

Grievances with my Job

I am taking this opportunity to list all the things that have happened to make me hate my job. I shant elaborate. I'm too tired. Goodnight.


Grievance #1 - Snobby Girls - They're younger than I. While I'm totally cool with having a more experienced high school student show me the ropes & even be "in charge," I certainly don't appreciate blatant snobbishness. (Update: Only 1 has been found guilty of snobery, lest anyone deem my judgement too harsh.)

Grievance #2 - Crazy Hours - Last night, after driving 250 miles home from Dallas, I was to work from 6:30-10:30. PM. This was not scheduled to flop over into the wee morning hours during which I generally like to sleep. In fact, we close at 9:30, so this even included an hour for the closing process. Especially since there were 4 of us (compared to the normal 2) closing, this should not have been a problem in ze least. But apparently, my luck dictates that my first time closing should be on the night before the annual corporate inspection. Or something. We pulled out refrigerators. We scrubbed walls. We scrubbed around the little metal holes in the counters where you put things. We swept, scrubbed, and mopped the floors. We dusted lamps hanging from the ceiling (the lamps, not us). Behold a funny convo:
Co-worker #1 - so did manager tell us to scrub the floors?
Shift Leader - no, owner did.
Co-worker #1 - what did he say?
Shift Leader - Owner told me to tell Co-worker #2 to scrub the floors
Me & Co-worker #1 - sigh of relief & then quiet laughter
Co-worker #2 - *puts head down on counter*
We finally got out of there just before 12:30. AM. That's a 4-hour shift turned into 6 hours. And I almost fell asleep twice on the way home. Poo. In fairness, I'm told it's not usually like this.

Grievance #3 - I was to open this morning, and my shift began at 10am. I left Mom crying at the hospital so I would be at work on time. When I got there, no shift leader could be found. After 15 minutes of sitting there & occasionally checking doors to make sure they hadn't been reeeeally early, I called my dad who gave me the phone number of the other location. I called there & got the owner's phone number & the code to the door. I still couldn't get the code to work, so I called the owner...then the shift leader arrived at 10:30. Apparently, it looked as though I had also just arrived.

Ok, so those are the grievances. Somehow, they seem less daunting than when they occured. My hope is that this is due mostly to my newness to the situation, though I've generally loved my previous jobs during the first week. As my disclaimer, rest assured that I'm sure that each of my coworkers is indeed very nice, and I just have not yet opened up enough to see it. After all, I hold to my previous resolution that there is something good and unique to be found in every person, and that I can in some way learn from them.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home