Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Getting poked & chopped up

Wednesday, 1:00pm

Well I had my surgery this morning, and I'm feeling rather crappy at the moment.

I'd like to take this opportunity to say "I told you so" to the intangible force that kept saying "with the laughing gas, you won't care about the IV needle." Ha! I remember telling the doctor right before he put in the IV, "No needle yet...I still caaare!" I think it wasn't until he said, "it's in, you can cry if you want to" that I calmed down verbally & started to cry. Not bawling crying, just a couple of tears.

I think I really pissed off one of the dental assistants too. She kept saying, in her holier-than-thou tone, "AAAdriane. Calm DDDown. It's just a nEEEdle." This girl was about 5 minutes older than I am. In all liklihood, she got one of those "Earn your degree online in 30 days! No knowledge required!" things. And now that I think about it, she probably thought to herself, "hehe, she would look funny with the entire bottom half of her face swollen like a blimp" and then giggled and scurried off to find the blimpifying medicine.

Actually, probably not. I'm sure she's a really nice girl who thought I was just being a brat. Really, though, I was working incredibly hard to be a "big girl" as they say.

They said that I might not remember anything until getting home & waking up in my bed. I remember waking up in the chair, but not being able to see anything. Then I kept falling back asleep momentarily, and then trying to climb out of the chair each time I woke up, and a voice telling me to stay in the chair. Then I remember them bringing in a wheel chair, and me standing up from it telling them I was fine & could walk. Funny though, cause I don't remember actually seeing any of my surroundings. It's probably best that they didn't let me just walk out on my own.

Now I'm extremely swollen. I woke up thinking "why is there a giant piece of gauze under my tongue?" Upon mirror-analysis, however, I discovered that it's really my bottom lip, which is completely numb. I had an itch on the ouside of my chin, and when I went to rub it, it didn't go away...THAT's how numb I am. Argh.

And I've resorted to using text messages, because I can't talk. Dad's out getting my prescription & popsicles & such right now. I'm hoping he'll find seasons of Everwood at the video store.

I would like to formally stand corrected: This is a much bigger deal than I thought it would be. I can hardly move, and I certainly don't want to eat anything. I just want to sleep, which for some reason is not coming easily, so we shall see how this plays out. Either way, I'm trying to view this as a "growth opportunity." I just didn't think the growth would come in the form of supersizing my chipmunk cheeks and their surrounding facial terrain.

Wednesday, 5:00pm

I'm on 3 prescriptions now...an antibiotic, a codine painkiller, and a take-as-needed nausea pill. I remember when I broke my toe & the doctor had me on 4 Advil 3 times a day. Ha! This, for the person who never takes more than one lol. Anyway, flashback over.

Dad also got the First Season of Everwood, so that should be fun. I love Everwood...I can't believe they cancelled it after 4 seasons, without so much as a poll from me! As my second favorite show, I've tried not to miss any/many episodes...but life happens, and your favorite shows tend to go unseen on occasion.

I'm still more swollen than ever. Julie would have fun with this one!

I just discovered the ample stitches in my mouth. That's gross. This will go down in history as The Day Adriane Was Brave. That's super awesome :)

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home