Thursday, June 22, 2006

I was nearly KILLED at work!

(The above phrase came from a coworker...one, mind you, who was not nearly killed at work.)

Ok, so here's the very exciting story of my encounter with death:
So here I was at Barnes & Noble, talking to Travis behind the counter. I was next to the barista machine & he was at the register, and no customers were in line.
Travis: *talk talk talk*
me: *talk talk talk*
ceiling tile conforming to the stressful pressures of gravity: *whap! bang! craaaaash!*
Travis: *turns around...calmly says* Oh...wow...ok.
me: yeah...hmm.
Travis: *turns back around* Ok, continue.
Of course we called for a manager, and when Tom returned from his break, he came in the back & asked if I had been under it. I said I had not and he responded:
Tom: Yeah I heard about that and figured that if one of you was under it, there would only be one of you left when I got back!

In addition, there was an alarm clock with a mind of its own. Instead of beeping, it kept ticking. Constantly. Travis used it to scan for metal on our arms like they do at the airport. Then Tom took the battery out so it would stop ticking. A few minutes later, Travis had walked away and it started ticking again! We were quite amused and frightened. Less amused than frightened, as clocks don't generally tick, and certainly not under their own power. Soon, though, we discovered that Travis had put that battery back into it...ha.

I tried to work my 14-hour day without taking a lunch break. In fact, it worked at Ben & Jerry's. But they didn't want me trying my crazyness at Barnes & Noble. I'm quite tired now, but alas, I brought it upon myself. Work was really fun though, even at B&N where I have been stressed every time I've worked until yesterday. And I worked with Chantal at B&J, so of course that was fun!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home