Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Hello Again!

As this post has become rather long & addresses several distinct subjects, I shall precede each section with a title. Consider it a bunch of short posts, if you will. I'm really not dorky. Well, if I am, then you are probably one of those people who doesn't mind, as you're reading my blog...

Time in Temple
I returned to Dallas on Sunday evening after spending a week & a half in Temple, TX...a town that consists of a Wal-Mart, a hospital, an IHOP, and several lonely miles of I-35. I'm really grateful for the opportunity to have gone, not for the chance to experience their competitive tourist attractions, but to be with my Mom & the rest of my family during the beginning of our ongoing trial. My Mom is doing better, and has been released from the ICU (Saturday night), but she will be in the hospital for a very long time before further recovery can take place at home, and continued prayers are gratefully appreciated.

Term Paper Total Petrification
I realized last Tuesday night that my Linguistics term paper would be due on Monday (uhh...2 days ago). So, rather than ask someone to build a library in Temple (the IHOP looked lonely...) and then learn how to find things in it, I went to Houston to do my research. Then I proceeded to stare at my bag full of library books and my laptop without actually reading or typing. I kindof realized that trying to do real work there would avail little.

Mercy for Monday
My aunts & my dad suggested that I ask for an extension, but I couldn't bear to do so...I knew about the assignment all semester, though I had intended to write it in the 2 weekends before it was due (for which I was gone). Thankfully, my professor gave me a 1 week extension without my having to request it. I had not been so happy for so shallow a reason in quite some time!

Work & Play All Day (...that one's not alliteration, but it rhymes!)
I'm glad to be back at work, cause it's fun to socialize. And of course it goes without saying that seeing my roommates/best friends has been the highlight of my recent return.

Take Back the Night March (ok...I've tired of witty titles)
Last night I went to the Take Back the Night March & Rally. It was awesome. Though I was more than a little ticked off by the giggling girls up front who could not seem to muster the balance to control their alcohol-free drunken wobbling, the event soon gave off the respectful aura that would be expected by someone, say, not unhealthily obsessed with their stereotypical sorority image.

Possible Summer Opportunities
I spoke with the lady in charge of a public policy organization in Austin after the presentations. Since I'm interested in that kind of work, I asked if she could suggest any organizations in Houston to whom my volunteer work could be useful. She also suggested that I look into their organization if I'm ever in Austin for a summer (Do we sense another potential summer in Austin?!).

Free Movies!
Valene surprised Zahra & me by asking us if we wanted to watch a free movie. Apparently, you can push the button for On Demand on the remote, go to Free Movies, and a whole list awaits you! Can you believe that we've been living here for 8 months, and have not discovered the wonderful thing that is Free Movies? So, we started Sleepless in Seattle. Valene then found that you can even fast-forward & pause the movies! This is awesome. I hope it's not some kind of trick that greedy cable companies use to trick little college girls into spending their scholarship money on mind-wasting tv. I think I'll go look at the list again, and pick out a movie for later.


Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home