Thursday, June 05, 2008

Job Search & Apartment Hunt

I'm getting frustrated. Actually, I've been frustrated, and now I'm really frustrated.

First, the job.
I can't find one. Not one that I like, anyway. And my resume is up to date, but needs some serious revisions. And by the time I get a new job, I'll have a college degree, for goodness sakes, and I would kindof like to be sought after! I know that's selfish, but that's what 15 hours in the summer is doing to me. I'm getting cranky. And frustrated, but we already covered that. Actually, I would be perfectly with a high-level executive assistant position, as long as I actually got to make judgments and didn't have numerous random people hovering. What I'm really looking for is technical writing. It'll get my foot in the door, so to speak, with the writing community, but won't be as competitive as journalism (in which I hope to have my master's degree in a couple of years).

But, then there's the apartment.
We don't have one. Do you have prospects, you ask? Why, yes. I have done copious research to find apartments that fit my very specific requirements. Benjamin has pretty much left the apartment-picking up to me, so this should be less complicated than it is. Let me list them here for simplicity:
  • 2 bedrooms
  • 2 bathrooms (preferable, but not necessary)
  • a big kitchen (very important. What's the use of having a fantastic chef husband if there's nowhere for him to make his magic? well, that kind of magic anyway.)
  • be close to Benjamin's office
  • be close to major roads so I can get to work if I ever find a job
  • not have freaking bugs (very important because I'm ready to pull my hair out with Waterview)
  • have room in the bedroom for my theoretical vanity (since I don't actually have one yet. Benjamin thinks if we have a bedroom the size we have now, we'll be able to fit my theoretical vanity, but I want to measure to make sure.)
  • a giant kitchen (I've raised my expectations in the last few minutes.)
My favorite one is a 1-story townhome. It had everything I required, but they don't have that floorplan. And we're supposedly above their income limit, so I can't have the 2-story that is available.

So, my second favorite. I called them today. The lady sounded about 60, and was so very sweet. She didn't even yell at me for not knowing that it is a "55-and-older" property. She said, in her really caring old lady voice, "You sound pretty young, though." I should have told her I'm 55.

Then there's my third favorite. They don't have the 2-bed 2-bath available until September, but they do have a 2-bed 1-bath. Yay! It's also a lot cheaper, and we don't really need the extra bathroom anyway. (We can spend that money on my vanity, and then I won't have to straighten my hair in the bathroom while Benjamin showers!) But I couldn't look at it today. I get to drive across town tomorrow and be there between 4:30 and 6:00, at which time they may or may not have the one empty apartment available to show me. And if they don't, tough luck, cause the new people are moving in Saturday.

Ok, well I'm ready to stop ranting. I know all of this is just what I have to go through to find the perfect one. Who knows, maybe my "favorites" actually stunk or had rats or something. Yes, yes, they had rats.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home