Sunday, September 02, 2007

Prepositional Problem

(Original post at www.abforever.blogspot.com)

I was wondering...

Is it strange that when you're dating someone, you're defined as "in a relationship with" that person, but when you're married, you're "married to" that person? It's interesting how those little prepositions can change the connotation of your "status"?

"With" suggests harmony, community, and togetherness.

"To" suggests aggression and opposing directions.

I've also noticed this difference in how we discuss our conversations. If someone says, "I was talking to so-and-so," doesn't that convey more of a lecture-style monologue than, if they said, "I was talking with so-and-so." To me, the latter connotes a more positive, mutual dialog. Couldn't we apply this concept elsewhere?

Perhaps I'm taking this too far, so I'll stop before I work myself into further mindless cyber-banter. My point is just one I've been considering, and which probably makes no difference to other native English-speakers. I guess that's why they call me anal.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

omgosh, i've pondered the exact same thing.

great minds think alike i suppose. :)

[September 7, 2007 3:55 PM]

Fri Jul 18, 05:22:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home